PURE the Clean Planet Trust picked to offset shoppers’ million tons of carbon
A registered charity which offers the UK's most effective carbon-offset programme has been chosen to benefit from a major project designed to make online shopping greener.
PURE the Clean Planet Trust will receive donations generated by internet shopping through consumer community portal froggybank.co.uk.
The charity (no. 1112249) will use these to support United Nations approved emissions reduction projects.
froggybank has committed to help UK shoppers generate enough funds to enable PURE to eliminate one million tons of carbon emissions by 2012.
Shoppers log onto the site before making online purchases from 1,500 major retailers as normal.
100% of the cashback paid by retailers can be turned into charitable donations that will support PURE. Shoppers can alternatively give the money to another charity, or keep some or all of it for themselves.
froggybank’s marketing manager Nadeem Azam said: "The average shopper can offset their entire household's yearly carbon emissions just by doing their usual shopping on froggybank.co.uk".
"We are fully committed to offsetting a million tons, which is the equivalent of removing 333,333 cars from Britain’s roads for a whole year."
Phil Wolski from PURE added: "PURE supports the UK Government Code of Best Practice so shoppers can be assured that the emissions reduction projects supported by funds stimulated via froggybank are of exceptional quality."
Some of the retailers that sell through the froggybank include Currys, Comet, Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Dell, Avon and Superdrug.
froggybank is supported by 44 staff at its parent company V A C Media Ltd (formerly eDeals UK Ltd). In total they look after 500,000 shoppers.
PURE is a UK based registered charity with the specific objective of improving air quality - so combating climate change.
Patron Stephen Fry has said: "Don't waste energy! Join me by cutting down your household's carbon footprint and offset what remains by donating to PURE."
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- Contact Paul Green on 08452 303049, email email@example.com, website www.froggybank.co.uk/press
- froggybank.co.uk is owned by V A C Media Ltd (formerly eDeals UK Ltd), the biggest operator of consumer loyalty websites in the UK. The company operates 180 websites supported by 44 staff.
- Contact Philip Wolski on 0207 382 7812, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.puretrust.org.uk
- PURE is the first UK registered charity dedicated to combating climate change by carbon offsetting.
- PURE has pledged to meet the standards of the UK Government's Code of Best Practice for carbon offsetting. Hence, all projects supported by PURE must meet the highest standards of the Kyoto Protocol.
- PURE supports energy efficiency and renewable energy projects that encourage sustainable development. This includes projects within the UK at British public services institutions (NHS hospitals and universities).
- PURE has, to date, supported six superior quality United Nations Clean Development Mechanism projects and three UK projects at the Open University, Milton Keynes, Bristol United Healthcare Trust and Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
- PURE is the world’s first and only carbon offset provider to attain 10/10 quality ticks in the independent directory Carbon Catalog. See http://www.carboncatalog.org/providers/
- PURE has supported the World’s first ‘Gold Standard’ project to be issued with Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) by the United Nations.